Friday, March 20, 2009

I Am Proud of My Students

My students' essays also improved. I gave out some As, meaning those few would not need to rewrite. I also gave out mostly Bs, and only a few Cs. Surprisingly, the C students from last time were not the same C students this time. Those who did that on the first essay worked hard and improved, some of them dramatically. Some of the others slacked off. I get the feeling they thought they could either get away with it or they were too tired to care at the time it was due. I hope those students rewrite because they are some of the ones who I know can do better with a little effort.

I have one student who only shows up to class when she likes the topic. So, she came all during the Blink discussion because she had a lot to say and she enjoyed the book. However, she never comes on workshopping days and I have not seen her since Spring Break. Her essay lacked the depth that the others' had from class discussions. She also made one or two vague references to rhetorical appeals and logical fallacies, but she could not name any specifically nor did she apply them to her text. However, her writing is very smooth and organized. She did a good job of analyzing the text despite her lack of appropriate terms. She brought out points that were not discussed in class. I found myself ambivalent about giving her a low B. She deserved it, but at the same time I wanted to punish her for not showing up to parts of the class that the others did. Maybe that low B was punishment enough, but I just don't know how to feel about this student, her writing, and her behavior.

Another student of mine went from a low C on the first essay to a low A on this one. He improved drastically. I felt so proud when reading his work. I want him to succeed because he honestly tries. He comes to class every day, he turns in every assignment, and he contributes to discussions. His first essay was a disaster, but this one rocked. As I write this, I realize that it may have to do with the topic. He enjoyed Blink so much that he went a step further and read Gavin de Becker's The Gift of Fear, a book referenced in Blink. His interest in the topic may have led him to spend more time and thought on the essay and therefore produce a better paper.

I am proud of my students and the improvements they are making. Now, if only I could get them to return to class after Spring Break!

No comments:

Post a Comment