Thursday, March 19, 2009

I have to Say I Rejoiced

My students' essays were much better this time. That may have been because only the top half of my students turned in their essays, so I only got the best, but even still that top half improved. I still did not give out many A's, but the amount of B's I gave out was significant compared to last time. I kept getting more and more excited as each essay I read honestly tried to answer the question, AND cited their quotations correctly. By the time I finished I actually felt a little rewarded. Maybe I did teach them something, even if it is just to introduce a quote.

I don't think I compliment my class very often. I seem to focus on the negative a lot. Probably because my class tends to gravitate towards the negative. But today I gave them a little compliment about how good their essays were. I didn't puff up their heads or anything, but I just told them all did a great job introducing their quotes and that the essays were better overall. They all looked pleased with themselves. I think I should try to add a little more positive into my classroom. I'm not saying I need to tell them all they're special and can do no wrong, but sometimes I forget to let them know when they've worked hard and it's turned out well. I just get frustrated with their lack of response and their inability to turn anything in, it kind of crowds out the good.

Speaking of which, I have a student who did not show up much the first half of the term but is now showing up every day. That would be great, except she's only turned in her first essay and nothing else. I'm not sure what to do. I've given them all midterm grades/status reports but she doesn't seem to care. Sometimes I get scared about turning in final grades because I worry about the emails I might get from students like her. Oh well, I guess they have to learn at some point that they need to be responsible for their own actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment