Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Simple, direct, and specific

The comments that have been most helpful to me typically have the three following attributes: they are simple, they are direct, and they are specific.

Simple: I'm amazed that, with commenting, less is often more. We discussed this briefly in class the other day. Novice teachers tend to give rambling, long-winded responses hoping it will help the student. Skilled teachers are able to condense those comments into simple phrases. Some examples of simple comments that come to mind would be "Confusing grammar," "Why does this point follow this one?" "Relate to main argument," or even "I don't follow." These get straight to the point without bogging the mind down in excessive detail.

When I grade I try and catch myself writing more than a line or two. If I go over, I reevaluate my comments and simplify.

Direct: Surprisingly, the brusque comments that cut straight through to my weaknesses as a writer are not only the most helpful, but are actually easier for me to accept than the sugar-coated ones. I would rather see a "This doesn't make sense" than a long, timid response filled with phrases like "you may want to look into" or "I can see what you're trying to do here."

Specific: This one is pretty easy, and I've had to catch myself violating it in my own grading. Rather than saying "Good," I want to have it spelled out. Just what was good about it? Saying "You've covered each point well and your paper has a clear, logical procession of ideas" is more valuable feedback to me as a writer than just "good." Same thing goes for "Bad" or "Awk."

I've made an effort to follow these principles when I grade. It is sometimes difficult, as simplicity and specificity can sometimes run counter to each other, but I'm learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment