Monday, January 9, 2012

First week

The first week was great. We've had some good discussions already and, so far, the students have been engaged and enthusiastic. I've enjoyed it and have finished each class excited for the next. Three quick thoughts:
  • My biggest question right now is how to steer the discussion towards the most productive end. Based on the first week, getting them to share thoughts and say what they're thinking doesn't appear to be an issue. The issue will be how do I best capitalize on the discussion and assist them in thinking more critically about the readings without doing all the thinking for them. I know there is an art to this and it takes a good deal of practice. I'm hoping I can develop a better feel for it now rather than later. 
  • I can see what Dr. Rogers meant when he told us "you're not as funny as you think." A couple of times I've felt like I'm on a sitcom like Seinfeld and there's a laugh track. It goes off whether what I said was funny or not (so I suppose it's more like when Bob Saget hosted America's Funniest Home Videos).
  • Grading. Wow. I decided to grade all 48 in-class writings the day they were turned in. It wasn't easy. I'm going to have to learn to be more efficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment