Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Brainwashing is Wrong

I think pushing ideology is wrong. After today's reading, I feel even more strongly that it is wrong to use a freshman composition course as a way to brainwash young college kids into thinking the same way that you do. I especially disliked David Bleich, who said that his students' religion is "one of the chief obstacles to their enlightenment" (700). I can admit that my exception to this stems from the fact that I am religious, but I also found his explanation of this statement to be pompous and arrogant. He overestimates his own importance in the world and in the history of the world. He wants his ideology to compete with the students' religions that have existed for hundreds or thousands of years. It is as if he believes what he has to say is more important than what anybody else thinks, feels, or believes. This is a ridiculous notion!

A professor who spends all of his time trying to "convert" his students will miss the entire point of teaching writing. The students should learn to write, regardless of the subject. They should also be taught in an environment that is fair. A teacher who is more concerned about having everybody agree with him will not be fair when it comes to grades or even how the students are treated in the classroom. I have heard of some adjunct faculty here at Weber favoring students that have taken their classes before or students that "worship" them. This may or may not be okay, but it turns out to be bad for everybody if it leads to students who do not agree or "worship" being marginalized and forgotten. In one story, I heard that the instructor lowered the expectations or length of assignments because her favorite student(s) did not finish the work or make as much of an effort as other students. This is wrong. Grades should not be based on whether or not the student is liked by the professor (although this is hard to overcome sometimes). Grades, performance, and learning should be based on the grasp of the subject matter. All students should be held to the same standards. Students who are liked by the professor should not have to do less work than the others, nor should they set the pace for the class.

The subject matter is writing, not politics. I like how we have used essays and social issues to read about and write about in our classes. However, I draw the line at expecting my students to agree with everything they read. I also do not think we should choose the reading based off of what we want our students to "learn" about the world. They will eventually learn in their own time and at their own pace. Although college is a place that can introduce different world views to students, they should not be held to the standard of robotic followers in order to succeed. They will eventually form their own opinions and even understand such ideology more fully when they are older and have reasons to care about politics.

So, I don't agree with brainwashing students. I enjoyed Hairston's essay, and agree with all of it except the assumption that students come to class with experience to write about. I like our reading assignments and discussions. However, I plan to continue walking the fine line between writing about the issues and actually forcing my students to adhere to them. That is not my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment