Friday, April 3, 2009

Form? I Don't Know.

Wow. I have no idea what to write about content and form and teaching it. I don't think I have taught it this semester overtly. I think most of what they have gotten of form has come from reading the essays, and I guess they are only picking that up if they are smart enough to realize that is the point of the essays and if they know how to model writing.

We have talked about thesis statements being at the end of the opening paragraph and how each succeeding paragraph should somehow point back to that thesis. I have pretty much ignored topic sentences. I am just happy if they have a thesis and if the body of the paper remotely ties back into it. Those who did it well got better grades than those who didn't.

I guess I am revealing my naivete and stupidity here. I really don't know a lot about form other than the 5-paragraph essay that can and should be expanded into many more paragraphs.

As to content, that has pretty much been decided for the students with the essays we have read. I am excited to see what they come up with for this last essay. I know they have been itching to pick their own topic, and they seem pretty happy with the freedom to do so. However, I'm sure some of them will come on Tuesday without having yet picked the blog or letter to editor and will therefore having nothing to do in class because they will have no content. What should I do if this happens? I plan to have them start writing with their chosen topic in hand, but if they come unprepared, what do I do? I'm not mean enough to throw them out, but I can't sit them in the back corner and tell them to research when they won't have access to a computer. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment