Friday, April 10, 2009

Pushing v. Presenting--The Tour Guide Approach

I do think there's a difference between pushing an ideology and presenting one as an alternative viewpoint. Like Whitby I am grateful for the subtle pushing I've had from a number of professors. They have taught me to consider viewpoints I may never have otherwise. But, on the other hand, I have had moments where I've been sitting in a classroom wishing to be anywhere else on the planet while a professor has pushed an ideology as the "only intelligent perspective." Oh, please. I'm great at silent argumentation, and usually get a kick out of contradiction. Sometimes the argumentation helps cement or redefine my own beliefs, and can therefore be considered a value added. At other times it's offensive and needs to be challenged.

I'm an older student (aged--as you know) with life experience and a certain level of stubbornness, yet standing up against someone in authority is still a frightening proposition. Three years ago I disagreed VERY strongly with a professor and walked out of a communications course here at WSU--never to return. Would I have dared do that as a young freshman student? No way. Therein lies the problem: pushing an ideology on the students in a 1010 comp class would be for the most part brutally easy. I've been surprised at how readily they grasp at what they think you want them to believe or say. I've tried really hard to hide my own ideologies this semester--asking them to argue another perspective--any perspective-- frequently during our class discussions. Sometimes I explain that I'm playing devil's advocate--other times I leave them guessing. Like Emily, I don't believe that it is our job to push ideologies. Let's just act as tour guides and let them figure life out on their own. If they can understand that life is full of complicated issues that are worth writing about they'll be better prepared to face the rest of their college career.

No comments:

Post a Comment